Sunday, July 16, 2006

Salmon a la Tartare


"The steak was top notch. I thought the mustard was out of place though. The wine complements the steak perfectly, making it a tasteful dining experience." - lrdblb

Before we begin, I just want you to know that I don't even know what a la tartare means. My boyfriend just came up with this fancy name and he said he didn't know what it meant either. I served this last night when my dad's ex colleague and his wife came to our house for dinner and received good compliments :D I'm feeling really proud of myself and decided to post it here. ENJOI.

Potato Scallopini
  • 500 of potatoes, washed, peeled and thinly sliced
  • butter up an oven proof pan and arrange the potatoes until it forms a layer of the pan, mean while sprinkle some salt, cracked pepper and garlic to taste. Then pour milk just to cover the potato layer.
  • do the same as step 2, layer by layer until the potatoes are finished.
  • then bake in oven for 35 minutes in 200C
  • meanwhile, you make the salmon steak
Salmon Steak
  • Fresh salmon, you can tell by the look of it. Don't use smoked salmon, they taste horrible. Fresh salmon can be a little more expensive than smoked ones but believe me, they are worth every penny.
  • Warm up a little butter in a non stick pan
  • Place the salmon skin side down and leave until it's cooked (round about 5 minutes - YMMV though).
Tomato Salad
  • cut 3 tomatoes
  • season with salt, pepper, olive oil and lemon juice
Assembly:
  • place a dallop of the potato scallopini
  • place the salmon steak, season with salt, pepper and tartare sauce
  • place a spoonful of the tomato salad

1 comment:

Angie said...

thnx for suggestion, will try that.